Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Warrior Dash.

Dustin has a thing for legs. Turkey legs. I am not sure where his obsession comes from. All I know is that he will go out of his way to track down a turkey leg. When we went to Disney World years ago, turkey legs were a hot topic of conversation. He couldn't stop talking about them. Frankly, his fixation on the turkey leg has only grown stronger.

So when Dustin informed me he was going to enter a race consisting of barbed wire, fire, and viking helmets, my only question was: are they serving turkey legs? Sure enough, turkey legs would be there. Well, then so would we. Last weekend we headed to Crawfordsville for a little taste of Dustin's world. A day filled with torturous obstacles, mud, and pure mayhem is right up his alley.

**Sidenote: We stayed in a hotel the night before the race. About a week leading up to arrival at this fine establishment, Dustin warned me that this hotel might not meet my expectations. Despite the stale smoke scent and the blood stained carpet, the room provided nice lodging for the night. I couldn't help but wonder if we were staying in the very room that inspired Michael Jackson to pen Smooth Criminal. (I don't think it was really blood, I don't think...)**

Okay, back to race day. Dustin managed to rope a friend into joining him on this adventure. I was designated as photographer, water holder, and holder of anything else they did not want to get ruined. (This job earned me a trip to Pottery Barn later that day so it was worth every water bottle I lugged around. Pottery Barn, I love you.)


Here is how the day went...




Gearing up...






Warming up....







Freaky mustached up...







I don't know this guy. But you need to see him.








I was trying to get a shot of the guy in the neon green leotard. It was fantastic! But apparently that other guy waving at the camera wanted in the picture more. So here you go, guy waving at the camera...






And they are off!






Unfortunately, the entire course isn't spectator friendly. I wasn't able to witness all of the obstacles. Instead of just standing around, I took a few pictures of my favorite costume of the day (at least I hope that was a costume).













Probably the reason this guy was my favorite is because he was all by himself. He didn't need moral support to wear this.






After about 30 minutes of taking pictures of a complete stranger, (Don't be alarmed. I didn't really follow that guy around for 30 minutes. Maybe only 10 minutes...20 minutes at the very most...) Dustin and Tye finally came into view...












I followed them to the final obstacle...






They made it out alive!







It was a good day. The weather was great, people watching was at its prime, and Dustin was able to unleash his inner warrior.









And yes, he even got a turkey leg.













No comments:

Post a Comment